Our winter skills courses are for those who want to take their mountain trips to the next level.
Sessions run throughout the Winter in, The Lakes, Fort William or Glencoe and Aviemore.
The sessions are led by experienced Mountain Leaders. Over the 2 day course we will look at the skills needed to enjoy The British Mountains in Winter.
We will look at:
- Selection and organisation of personal kit appropriate to winter hill walking
- Movement on snow, including kicking steps and using the ice axe for walking, self-arrest belay and cutting steps
- Correct use of crampons in ascent/descent
- Emergency procedures
- Avalanche awareness
- Winter navigation
Sessions will be weather dependent and in some cases venue maybe changed at short notice.
The advertised price does not include accommodation, but does include the hire of ice axe helmet and crampons, however we need to know in advance what boots you have and that they are suitable for winter use.
The cost for a 2 day course is £180 per person. Sessions will start at 8.45 each day and there will be a classroom session on the first evening.
We also offer a 4 day course, the cost is £320 per person. The courses are available all winter, to book, please contact us to discuss.
Our suggested equipment list is below, however it is not exhaustive.
- Thermals or suitable under clothing
- Insulating layers
- Trousers suitable for Winter use
- Thick socks (several pairs)
- Spare clothes
- Waterproof jacket with a good hood
- Waterproof over-trousers or salopettes
- Hat & balaclava and spares
- Mitts & gloves
- Ski goggles - Double lenses
- Compass – Silva type 4 recommended
- Maps and waterproof map case. 1:50,000 map of the area
- Rucksack liner
- Flask & Water Bottle
- Food for a full day in the mountains
- Survival Bag – Plastic type